Human mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) encodes 37 known genes, including 2rRNAs, 22 tRNAs and 13 polypeptide subunits of the electron transport chain (ETC) complexes. Recent work has revealed that the rRNA loci contain small open reading frames (ORFs) that can be transcribed and translated into short peptides called mitochondrial-derived peptides (MDPs), which have biological activity. MOTS-c is a mitochondrial-encoded peptide with 16-aa’s encoded within the 12S rRNA locus of mtDNA in human cells.
MOTS-c can translocate into the nucleus in response to metabolic stress and regulation of adaptive nuclear gene expression. This allows the peptide to promote resistance of metabolic stress by upregulating the mitochondrial genome. Upregulating these genes encourages mitochondrial biogenesis. MOTS-c inhibits the methionine-folate cycle resulting in purine synthesis, increase in PCG-1α (a key regulator of energy metabolism), and AICAR (5- Aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide ribonucleotide) accumulation which activates AMPK (5’- adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase). This acts as an energy sensor by monitoring the ratio of AMP and ATP. AMPK restores homeostasis by initiating catabolic processes for ATP production in case of energy deficits. In addition, literature suggest that MOTS-c decreases insulin resistance and increases GLUT4 uptake in muscle.
The peptide is mainly used for weight loss (regulating muscle and fat metabolism) and energy (cell survival in toxic conditions). MOTS-c is consistently used by sports performance athletes to enhance one’s performance. It also displays a promising effect in longevity. The Japanese long-lived people (population with the longest lifespan in the world) have demonstrated a phenotypic expression and biological link between MOTS-c and an extended lifespan.
MOTS-C is taken subcutaneously in the top layer of fat.
Final dosage will be provided by the health care provider during your consultation.
- Prescription products require an online consultation with a physician who will determine if a prescription is appropriate.
- No products will be shipped until you complete your consultation after purchase, a patient coordinator will contact you within 24 hours to schedule your medical consultation.
- In the event that you are not a candidate, you will be refunded immediately after consultation
- Most medications will arrive 7-10 days after purchase. Please check email once order is complete.
- All products include all needles and supplies for your medication as well as support from our physicians and patient coordinators for time of prescriptions.